La Serena Archeological Museum was founded
on April 3rd, 1943, by the will of its first
director, Francisco L. Comely. The whole
local community supported it. The current
building was especially constructed for
the Museum during the "Plan Serena"
(1952). Its front rescued and integrated
the house porch, which already existed there
and which belonged to the Villaseñor
Since the Museum's opening, the exhibition
has been nurtured by the rescue and gathering
of historical objects and documents. These
have become valuable sources for the study
of regional and national history. For instance,
in the Easter Island Hall, there is a Moai
and various objects from the Rapanui culture,
complemented with maps and graphics that
give global information about the Island.
At the section "La Serena's Urban Evolution",
there is a series of graphics, illustrations,
maps and photos, which represent the City's
historical process. This Museum has become
a true Historical Documentation Center.
Among them, we can highlight the Independence
Archives (19th Century), Council Meetings
Archives (18th and 19th Centuries), Finances
(16th through 20th Centuries), Photographic
and Cartographic Archives.
Cordovez and Cienfuegos streets, La Serena.
9 am-1 pm and 4 pm-7pm. Saturdays, 10 am-1
pm and 4 pm-7pm. Sundays, 10 am-1pm.
22 44 92 - 22 60 50.
22 53 98.