took thirty years to make this dream become
a reality, mainly because of the effort
made by the Chonchi Progress and Development
Center and its first president, late professor
An old house was restored with great
respect and fidelity to the wood building
systems. It was then furnished with original
elements that used to be placed at local
houses during the 19th Century. Architectural
wise, the Museum can be defined as part
of the Chiloé neo-classical period
(1860-1920). The house belonged to the family
of Clemente Andrade and Veronica Alvarez,
and was bought with the help of the State
Fund for the Arts (Fondart), and restored
with money collected from the community
and the City office.
Books, documents, articles and plain oral
tales helped to visualize the original disposition
of furniture and other diverse elements.
All the rooms are arranged just like they
used to be 150 years ago.
in here and by the heat, women used to stay
most of the time, working and drinking "mate".
—Dining room: family and friends gathered here to celebrate.
—Living room: the house´s main room. In here, the
most important visitors were welcome and
the best furniture could be found, specially
musical instruments. It was the room used
for social meetings and, if necessary, the
wake of the dead.
—Bedroom: all beds were queen-size and made out of
iron. One could also find a chest and a
"prie-dieu" for daily players.
—Fireplace ('fogón'): used mainly for cooking,
but also for house work such as the making
of yokes for animals. Poorer families would
sometimes live here.
Address: Calle Centenario 116; Chonchi, Chiloé.
through Sunday, 9 am - 1 pm and 3 pm to